In the current Perth rental crisis, our TOP tips for a successful rental application will help you become the chosen Tenant!!
TIP 1 – Be Prepared
When you commence your journey to finding your new home, you must be prepared!
- Map out the area you are looking in (school catchments, local amenities)
- Look at ALL the current rentals in your chosen location and surrounding areas
- Have a clear idea of your budget
- Have a checklist of that MUST haves
Prepare Your Rental Application Documents
- Contact your personal reference
- Collate your recent payslips
- Let your employer know they will be getting a call
- Have copies of your ID
- Create your extras (pet profiles)
TIP 2 –Make the Right Impression
On the day of the home opening it is essential to follow these steps:
- Make sure you are registered before attending (you want to make a great first impression)
- Be on time
- Present yourself well; remember this is an interview of sorts
- Don’t park on the neighbour’s lawns (they may be your neighbours soon)
- If you have questions, ASK Leasing agents are trained to multi-task, and they are there to help
- Take your time. Most home opens are between 15-30 mins so methodically make your way around the property with
(achecklist in hand.
- If the agent hasn’t signed you in via an app, ensure you ask about their application process before you leave.
- Leasing agents usually have back-to-back opens; if you think of something later in the daytext is generally more straightforward for them to respond to than a call.
- Submit your application before 9 am the following day
TIP 3 – The rental Application
Now that you have seen your perfect new home, what can you do to ensure you are at the top of the list to get accepted?
- Ensure EVERY part of your application is complete
- Call your references and advise that today is the day to turn their phones off silent!
- Put your best foot forward! You may want to increase your offer or pay a few months upfront in a competitive market.
- Add a pet profile with a photo and a BIO (these can go a long way when an owner approves a pet.
The leasing agent will call you; however if you haven’t heard anything by the close of business the day after you have submitted your application, give them a call to ensure they have everything they need!
Luck has nothing to do with it!